Wednesday, October 20, 2010

foolproof security

Oct 7th 2010

Foolproof Security





My sister, Sohinie, works with Doordarshan for the Commonwealth Games. I met up with her today to catch up on some behind the scene gossip. However, her words got me procrastinating about a different issue.

A lot is being said about the tight security measures being followed at all sporting venues. Its common knowledge that items such as cigarettes, lighters etc aren’t allowed inside venues. I have been reading and hearing a lot of ‘forceful confiscation ‘stories. Knowing she’s a chain smoker I asked how she was faring. “Well…” she said puffing away the YSL’s she seems to prefer, “they haven’t stopped me. I go through the usual checks. Ha-ha! They’re too busy staring. Such freaks!” If I recall, this is not the first time she has gotten away. There have been at least 5 instances in my presence when she has walked through airport security checks in Toronto with lighters in her handbag. This in the post WTC era! She finds it funny that in a time where we hear about Asian discrimination stories at airports, she gets away carrying prohibited items. Is it because she does not fit the stereotypical image of the ‘Asian/wannabe terrorist’? Even if that was true, the luggage still has to go through x ray checks! How can the security personnel not notice?

Do appearances really make that much of a difference? And how far can looking a certain way take us?  “Damn.I would totally make an awesome terrorist! They would never suspect me! Ha-ha!” signs off my sister. 
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment